Saturday, December 22, 2012

Greatest Things in My Life

So, lately some of the best things and biggest changes of my life have come. As most people have heard the General Conference for October 2012 was a major time in the lives of many young members of the church, and for me it got me starting my papers sooner than I had planned. It turns out that the decision to do so has been an amazing blessing in my life in so many ways.

The semester was great. Fantastic roommates, old friends and new, have helped me be a better person and have each been a blessing and a pal listening to my daily stories.

Since starting my papers and receiving my call my family has been blessed with safety even with all the car trouble and accidents going on. Somehow, I have been able to get all the things done that I need to. No matter what happened, I found that as I was helping others with all the time I could it became easier to get my tasks done.

Then the call came:
Dear Sister Grubham,
You are hereby called to serve as a missionary of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. You are assigned to labor in the El Salvador San Salvador Mission. It is anticipated that you will serve for a period of 18 months.
You should report to the Guatemala Missionary Training Center on Wednesday, April 3 2013. You will prepare to preach the gospel in the Spanish language.

So very exciting? Yes, in fact it's so exciting that it makes it a little harder to focus on school. But I got through, and spent many hours in the geology computer lab and in the library when I needed some quiet.

The story continues though. In between studying, mission preparation, and church callings I started spending more time with other friends in the ward and randomly inviting friends to cookie makings and dinner. In fact one friend in particular started to stand out. I spent time playing games like Risk with him and his roommates. I was invited on a date for dinner and the MOA by the friend who happened to be one of my home-teachers.

After that date all our friends acted awkward around the two of us. After another while somehow a second date was lined up to the Hobbit opening night.
And now an important person came into my life, with great timing...

After his eye surgery, while waiting around, yet before heading home for Christmas break, I got to meet a large portion of his family in a matter of days.

Like butterfly kisses from a Venus flytrap

I have enjoyed dinner and games from a very fun sister and brother-in-law, and had so much fun making cookies and eating with mom and grandma.

The drive home ended one segment of my life and began another. I went through the temple yesterday evening with my family members and a bunch of wonderful supportive ward members and friends.

Christmas is near and I am so excited for life. The things that matter are so close to us. And the next few years of my life are going to be absolutely amazing, just like the last few years have been.

No comments: